RE: [Videolib] ILL question

albrechs (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:46:59 -0500

For a bit of a different take, we ILL VHS & DVD fairly freely. Anyone willing
to lend to us, we will also lend to. But there is one caveat, and it's
similar to what Gary has described: I have veto power. Because we are small,
and I **am** the video (and book) acquisitions "department", the ILL person
begins her morning by asking me which of the requests she's received for
videos I will approve. If someone wants something that I know a faculty
member just had me acquire for a course, or something which is OP, or
something which cost $400, I simply say "No" and that's that. This works
*very* well for us.

By being willing to lend to many institutions, we get the benefit of
occasionally borrowing something our patrons need in return. On the other
hand, it's hard to make this work if your institution or your staff is large,
or in a situation where one person doesn't have a good feel for the needs &
uses of the videos.

Susan