Re: [Videolib] ILL question

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:26:28 -0700

--=====================_18737671==.ALT

Hullo

OK, I'll weigh in here with what I think is a generally unpopular point of
view (WHAT! AGAIN!)

ALA in the past few years published
<http://www.ala.org/ala/vrt/pubguidelines/guidelinesinterlibrary.htm>ALA |
Guidelines for the Interlibrary
Loan<http://www.ala.org/ala/vrt/pubguidelines/guidelinesinterlibrary.htm>
of Audio Visual Formats (see www.ala.org/vrt/illguide.html ) (don't you
just love the creaky, musty sound of that Audio Visual???) which attempts
to place video and other moving image and sound media in the ILL mainstream....

This is all fine and well in theory... The bottom line for most academic
library video collections, however, is that

1. Most oftentimes we're there first and foremost to support curricula
2. We often only have single copies of titles in the collection
3. Outside of features, many of the titles in the collection are expensive
and/or rare (or at least difficult to replace)
4. Feature titles (and none feature, too --thank you very much PBS) seem
to be going out of distribution at an alarmingly rapid rate...no DVD
in sight.
4. Faculty are pathologically incapable in most cases of reserving
materials in advance

In light of the above, a liberal ILL policy runs the very definite risk of
taking stuff needed for classroom showing or for use by classes out of
circulation.

We loan stuff to other UC campuses, but I'm verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry
conservative. The decision to loan is based the likelihood of stuff being
needed in the current semester, its cost and/or rarity. Since most of the
materials requested are popular or hot topic items, I say "no" more than I
say yes (which definitely doesn't endear me to my colleagues at other UC
campuses).

At 12:18 PM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I'm new to this list, so if this has been brought up numerous times, I
>apologize.
>
>I am the selector of our video/dvd collection, which is heavily used by
>our faculty and students alike. Our students cannot check these items out
>of the library, they are for library use only. Faculty may check them out,
>generally for a 24 hour period, but we do make exceptions for them on a
>case by case basis. I only recently took over this collection, and I
>discovered that we have been ILL-ing some of our videos and dvds to one
>particular institution, and this distresses me greatly. I don't want to
>set a precedent, so other institutions start asking to borrow the
>collection as well. I have many objections, but I keep coming back to the
>fact that if we don't allow our students to take home these materials why
>would we allow people from other institutions to do that?
>
>Personally I would like to set a policy where we don't lend out our videos
>and dvds, due to their frequent use, among many other reasons, but my
>library director disagrees with that and thinks it is too strict of a
>policy. Anecdotally, I have heard that most institutions don't lend this
>kind of collection through ILL, but I was wondering if any of you on this
>list could give me some advice on the matter, ie how to change my
>director's mind, or if indeed most institutions don't lend their vids/dvds
>(or if I am completely wrong about that). Any advice on this matter would
>be greatly appreciated. If this has been discussed time and time again,
>please feel free to reply to me off-list.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Susanna Eng.

>Susanna Eng
>Assistant Instructional Services Coordinator
>Information Services Division
>University of Southern California
>Tel: (213) 740-8349
>Email: susannae@usc.edu

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan

ALA in the past few years published ALA | Guidelines for the Interlibrary Loan of Audio Visual Formats (see www.ala.org/vrt/illguide.html ) (don't you just love the creaky, musty sound of that Audio Visual???)  which attempts to place video and other moving image and sound media in the ILL mainstream....