Re: [Videolib] PPR rights

Jennifer Stutesman (jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu)
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:20:12 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_BbYCH/qThrmrHOrVYWSLNA)

Thank you, Jessica - my education continues... :-)
-jen

Jessica Rosner wrote:

> Alas no easy answer but most feature films ARE Available for PPR you just
> have to figure out who owns it. PPR rights basically belong to the company
> that owns theatrical/non theatrical rights and this is often either A. Not
> the same as the company that released the home video or B. Sub-licensed by
> the company that owned the home video. In reality I would estimate that 95%
> of HOLLYWOOD feature films are owned either by SWANK ( and the company they
> own which I forget the name of) or Criterion in CHICAGO . It pretty much
> goes by STUDIO so Swank can handle Warner Bros, Paramount, Universal,
> Columbia, Miramax MGM/UA and many smaller companies. Criterion handles
> Fox/New Line Fine Line Artisian and a few others. New Yorker handles Sony
> Classics and a number of independent films and companies like Kino,
> Milestone, Zeitgeist own our own films A FEW OF WHICH are released on other
> video labels and Criterion/Janus handled most but by no many all of the
> classic titles on the Criterion home video label Basically most standard
> American Hollywood films are fairly easy to figure out PPR rights however
> many foreign & independent films are either very complex or not available. A
> few recent examples that crossed my desk, IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES (
> distributed by Wellspring but they don't own PPR the French owners do) Any
> Chaplin feature except MODERN TIMES ( distributed by Warner Bros for home
> video but PPR is owned by French company MK2 , Mi Vida Sin Mi (2003)
> Directed by isabel coixet this is released by Sony Classics for like an
> increasing number of their titles is owned by NEITHER New Yorker or Swank so
> you would have to go to Sony DIRECTLY ( have fun)
>
> So again for the majority of standard feature American films it is not
> that hard to find but there will never be an easy way to track PPR on
> more difficult titles , just have to do research. I will say that
> this seems to have developed into one of my better skills and I keep
> a full rolodex of obscure rights holders for oddball films or contacts
> for overseas owners if you are so inclined. My office mate keeps telling
> me I should charge for my "services" but I don't mind so long as people
> have made a basic attempt to figure it out on their own
>
> Jessica
> --
> Jessica Rosner
> Kino International
> 333 W 39th St. 503
> NY NY 10018
> jrosner@kino.com
> 212-629-6880
>
> >this would be a pubic performance.
> >> Michael Moore may indeed be advocating free showings, but the
> >> distribution company doesn't appear to agree since "Bowling for
> >> Columbine" is in Swank's catalog for purchasing public performance
> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Is there a "Contact Us" link on the website?
> >>
> >> Barb Bergman
> >> Media Services Librarian
> [...]

begin:vcard
n:Stutesman;Jen
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Walla Walla Community College, Walla Walla WA 99362
adr:;;;Walla Walla;WA;;
version:2.1
email;internet:jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu
title:Instructional and Technical Services Librarian
fn:Jen Stutesman
end:vcard

--Boundary_(ID_BbYCH/qThrmrHOrVYWSLNA)