Re: [Videolib] videocassette damage

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:12:38 EDT

--part1_74.3b8f9175.2dc25946_boundary

In a message dated 4/28/04 7:27:10 PM, RHOOFT@jibc.bc.ca writes:
> It's not possible for a video to damage a VCR.=A0 The VCR is always the=20
> cause, whether it be dirty heads, or mishandling by the patron(angrily rip=
ping the=20
> video out of the machine if it gets stuck).=A0 It's like saying "the hamme=
r=20
> hit my fingers"
> Rob Hooft
> JIBC Library=A0
>=20

Well, the effects of peanut butter and jelly or chocolate on a video tape=20
(and it's not a urban myth, it does happen) certainly can do some damage! If=
a=20
cassette is shipped in a padded envelope that breaks inside -- and that happ=
ens=20
a lot in distribution -- the dust in the tape can really screw up the roller=
s=20
and heads. We had one tape from a public library that turned out to be so=20
dirty that I had to take apart my machine twice to clean it.=20

However, a properly cleaned and maintained tape is HIGHLY unlikely to screw=20
up a VCR. I just wouldn't say never because tapes can be previously stretche=
d=20
or crumpled by a patron's machine and not always caught before the next user=
=20
gets it.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video