RE: [Videolib] Using LC Subject Headings "Musical Films" and "Mus

naomit@univ.haifa.ac.il
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:20:27 +0200

Musical films
Seen from: $$a Motion picture musicals
Seen from: $$a Moving-pictures, Musical
Seen from: $$a Musicals (Motion pictures)

Musicals

Seen from: $$a Musical comedies
Seen from: $$a Musical revues, comedies, etc.
Seen from: $$a Musical shows
Seen from: $$a Operettas
LCS

Naomi Tirosh
Media Librarian
Haifa University Library

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Renee Zurn
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 6:55 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Using LC Subject Headings "Musical Films" and "Musicals"

Hello all,
I am looking for information about how/when you use the Library of
Congress Subject Headings "Musical Films" and "Musicals."

A co-worker asked me to explain why I would use one instead of the
other and I could not give her a good explanation. She therefor asked
if we could stop using "Musicals" and only use "Musical Films." For an
example of my usage - "Into the Woods", "Cats" and "Cinderella" have the
LCSH "Musicals" while "The Sound of Music", "Jesus Christ Superstar" and
"The Bodyguard" have "Musical Films."

I read the description in the Red Book but am still confused. Please
help me understand the differences between these two subject headings
and how to correctly use them.

Thanks for any information you can provide me.

Renee Zurn
Duluth Public Library
Duluth MN