Re: [Videolib] Copyright/Fair Use/PPR AGAIN

Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:45:31 -0700

--=====================_24034609==.ALT

Hi

I think the answer is "maybe" ... but if it were me, I show the clips and
be done with it. I think a good case could be made for fair use (or at
least safe use) by considering the use in the context of Section 107's
litmus tests:

* The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is
of a commercial nature or is for non-profit educational purposes.
* The nature of the copyrighted work.
* The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
copyrighted work as a whole.
* The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work.

(see Jed, I ain't a total IP fascist!).

At 12:44 PM 4/28/2004, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I don't post here much (never, until now). This recent discussion on
>copyright has been quite eye-opening for me. But I have a question which
>I do not think has been yet addressed; here is the premise: I and two
>colleagues will be presenting at ALA Orlando in June a program entitled
>'Booktalking With Pizzazz' where we will be using brief video clips (all
>less than three minutes, most less than one minute) and a couple of music
>clips (less than 30 seconds). Most of the videos used were purchased with
>PPR, a few were not. My question is, based on copyright and 'fair use',
>would we be violating the law using those clips (audio or video) without PPR?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Blane Halliday
>
>Blane Halliday
>AV Acquisitions Librarian