RE: [Videolib] Legality of a DVD backup

Jed Horovitz (
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:51:07 -0400

The fact is, there are no 'facts' when it comes to copyright until each case
is resolved. This is why we need to 'push back' so the norm does not get
moved to the point where nothing is permitted without prior permission.

-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Susan
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Legality of a DVD backup

At 06:33 PM 4/27/2004 -0400, Troy Davis wrote:
>But to speak of misleading, it seems that to say "information wants to be
>free" is no more misleading than saying "if you do this you'll get sued
>and lose." In many ways the "information wants to be free" position seems
>a more correct interpretation of the constitutional premise of copyright.
>Jed's comments should be invited as one who seeks an understanding of
>copyright from the perspective of a certain "use" (personal,
>educational,etc..) just as Jessica's should be invited as one who seeks to
>express rights of entrepreneurial uses of copyrighted works.
>A balance of those uses and their implied rights is what copyright's all
>about. We should encourage a discussion of the "premises" of copyright.

If I might just add my little $.02....

I agree with you in principle, Troy, that this should be a place where
discussion is encouraged. On the other hand, I think people making their
points need to be careful how they state them. If, indeed, someone
personally believes all information should be free...well...fine &
dandy. But to put that out as "it's true" does, in fact, do a disservice
to many of the list members who, as Gary pointed out, AREN'T copyright
experts. How it *should* be, or what it would be like if each of *us* ran
the show, would make for an interesting discussion. But when it comes to
what is presented as factual, I think we need to be careful what is put
forth, especially when the discussion began as a request for assistance in
understanding the facts.

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Coordinator
Wabash College Lilly Library