RE: [Videolib] "Bowling for Columbine" public performance

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:39:59 -0500

Yes, this would be a pubic performance.
Michael Moore may indeed be advocating free showings, but the
distribution company doesn't appear to agree since "Bowling for
Columbine" is in Swank's catalog for purchasing public performance
rights.

Is there a "Contact Us" link on the website?

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Nagle,
Tiffany
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 2:57 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] "Bowling for Columbine" public performance

I have a group that has asked to rent our library's auditorium. On
asking
what the event was, she replied that they were going to show "Bowling
for
Columbine" at no charge to the public. I asked if she knew about getting
the
public performance rights for the film, and she replied that Michael
Moore
was allowing anyone to show this movie for free.

Now, they plan on using their own copy of the film, not the library's,
but
I'm still "iffy" about the legality of the performance rights. As far as
can tell from our copy, the case shows the standard wording "Any public
performance...is strictly prohibited." Plus, I don't see anything
mentioned
on the web site for the film. I would think that this information would
be
provided somewhere if he really was advocating free showings.

Has anyone heard about this situation for "Bowling for Columbine"?
Thanks!

Tiffany Nagle, MLS
Audiovisual Librarian
Beale Memorial Library/Kern County Library
ph (661) 868-0784
fax (661) 868-0831
tiffany.nagle@kerncountylibrary.org