RE: [Videolib] DVD theft

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:13:43 -0500

Frank, it was frankly a little bit of both. We had noticed this guy for a
couple weeks hanging around the DVDs, but had no proof, etc. Yesterday, a
pawnshop owner in town called our director, discribing someone who had come
in trying to sell DVDs. All the sleeve was gone, and the labels, except I
think the call label on the spine. He described the kid to our boss.
Today, he came in at 9:00 and was frustrated, because we moved the DVDs in
back of the circ desk. I called our boss, who came out, looked at him, and
called the police. They came, frisked him, found a Scrooge disc in a blank
case. We have no case because nothing was on the disc. But he is banned
now. GRRR. 300+ titles, about $8000 - $10000 lost.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Haulgren [mailto:Frank.Haulgren@wwu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 1:31 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] DVD theft

Becky -
Did you catch this guy by luck or through a plan? We bleed DVDs pretty
badly but have had no luck devising a plan to catch these people in the
act. We will be installing a 3M security gate at the entrance into our
AV room this summer. The idea being that folks will all have to check
out materials kept there before exiting the area.

But I'd love to catch one of these people in the act or with the goods
in hand.

Frank Haulgren
ILL / Document Delivery / Media
Wilson Library - Western Washington University