RE: [Videolib] DVD theft

Frank Haulgren (Frank.Haulgren@wwu.edu)
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:31:08 -0700

Becky -
Did you catch this guy by luck or through a plan? We bleed DVDs pretty
badly but have had no luck devising a plan to catch these people in the
act. We will be installing a 3M security gate at the entrance into our
AV room this summer. The idea being that folks will all have to check
out materials kept there before exiting the area.

But I'd love to catch one of these people in the act or with the goods
in hand.

Frank Haulgren
ILL / Document Delivery / Media
Wilson Library - Western Washington University
-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 9:20 AM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: [Videolib] DVD theft

Well, we think we caught one of the guys who probably swiped about 300
of
our DVDs. The only problem is that we won't be able to do anything,
since
the discs do not have any ownership info on them. I pulled up the info
in
the archives on using markers. My question is, without looking at all
1000
of our discs, is this. Is there a empty space around the center to put
donut label, or write with marker on all DVDs - whether single sided or
double sided? I know that the single sided ones will not be a problem
in
labeling, but I don't know about the double sided ones. As you probably
have guessed, I don't have a DVD player. Sorry for a stupid question.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street