Re: [Videolib] DVD theft

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:30:05 -0400

Greenville County Library System (SC) has been using donut labels on all DVD's
for about the 5 years they've had a collection--and that includes using them on
the double-sided ones as well. Beginning a few years later 3-M security
overlays were added to all DVD's. This means that either the wide-screen or
the pan-and-scan version is no longer usable, and sometimes some extras can't
be viewed. I don't know whether staff are instructed to choose one side over
the other for labeling doublesided discs or whether the choice is random.

As a user of this public library collection, and a former supervisor there, I
consider the loss of one side to be unfortunate but necessary. If it's
important that both sides be available, consider buying two copies, put the
donuts on opposite sides, and repackage the two discs as a single circulating
unit.

Pat Shufeldt
pashuf@charter.net