RE: [Videolib] Legality of a DVD backup

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:54:35 -0700

--=====================_9445968==.ALT

Chilling to whom, Jed?

You're putting misleading and potentially dangerous info out there on the
line--particularly given the fact that a lot of users of this list are new
to or casually involved in the field and searching for real guidance
. It's one thing to be a "to-the-battlements-for-free-information"
"information-wants-to-be-free" kinda guy, and another thing altogether to
be a information professional on the front lines who has to make real
policy decisions every day, often based on maddeningly unspecific legal
stricture and precedent.

Unless otherwise specified by the copyright holder, copying currently
in-distribution media without permission in the service of library
collections (or other institutional uses) is NOT fair use by any measure
under current copyright law.

At 08:34 AM 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>Yes. I am getting tired of the chilling effect on this list.

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan