Re: [Videolib] verification of archival copy laws

Dan Donnelly (d-donn@tc.umn.edu)
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:58:13 -0500

--=====================_20873794==_.ALT

I think your interpretation of "obsolete" is correct, i.e. 16mm film isn't
obsolete yet. However, I also think it's nearly so. I have about 300 16mm
films and no projector! My library won't invest in a new projector. My
campus no longer provides 16mm support for classroom use. It seems to me
that as a practical matter 16mm film at the University of Minnesota is
obsolete. I've often been tempted to treat some of my OP 16mm prints as
obsolete and look for a partner (MCAD, the local art college) to work on
converting some of them to some more readily accessible medium. I haven't
done this yet but it sure feels OK to me.

Dan Donnelly
University of Minnesota Libraries

At 01:32 PM 4/23/2004, you wrote:
>We have a bunch of 16mm films, excellent content quality, but most of them
>are very old, and some have some shrinkage. My understanding is that we
>do NOT have the right to make vhs copies, since 16mm is not an obsolete
>format. If a 16mm film is in really bad shape and needs to be discarded,
>we COULD make a copy but not circulate it. Is this assessment correct?
>Thanks,
>LeeAnne
>

>LeeAnne L. Krause, Manager
>Educational Film Library

[...]