Re: [Videolib] yet more copyright issues - this time with music!

media2 (media2@burlco.org)
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:35:30 -0400

For a variety of reasons there should be no problem with performing
legally obtained phonorecordings as background music for the college
function. But none of them are related to music, "which will not be
recorded, or advertised as a performance or anything, and which will
require an invitation." These conditions have no bearing. There is no
similarity between playing music in a restaurant and the situation you
describe. Restaurants pay (or should pay) a subscriber license fee to
ASCAP to play music in their establishments or subscribe to something
like Muzak. Music and video played in a video/music store for the
purposes of "promoting sales" or featuring an artist or video for sale
have no such requirement BTW.

If the college counsel office is uncomfortable with this, check with
ASCAP title by title on the play list.

Mark Richie
Burlco EMTC
NJ