Re: [Videolib] Videos on American Feminism Circa 1960s/70s

Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:55:22 -0700

--=====================_25293875==.ALT

Not spectacular, but serviceable:

Half the People, 1970. (People's Century, 1997.)
Inspired by the successes of the Civil Rights Movement, women began to
challenge discrimination on the basis of gender. The National Organization
for Women was founded in 1966 to support full equality for women in
America. In the boardroom and other bastions of male power, women pressed
their demands with growing success. This film examines the history of the
women's rights movements in the United States, Iran, Mexico, Denmark, China
and Africa.

Also:

My Feminism (Women Make Movies) http://wmm.com/Catalog/pages/c412.htm

Step by Step: Building a Feminist Movement.
Traces the gradual emergence of contemporary feminism in the United States
from 1941 to 1977 through the life stories of eight women, six of whom
became founding members of NOW. The participants describe the labor, civil
rights, and political movements of the 1940s and 50s that led them to take
independent action for women in this personal view of the women on
feminism's front lines. c1998. 56 min. (women make movies
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c470.htm)

At 01:46 PM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am searching for a few titles that I might be able to order, and the
>search is turning out to be less fruitful than I originally thought it
>would be. So, I'm appealing to the collective brain for help.
>
>I have a request from an instructor for videos to be used as an
>introduction to 1960s and 1970s feminism in America. Her words: "I want
>the students to see the power, conflict and diversity within this time
>period." What we have found so far has been too specific -- we have
>plenty of videos on abortion rights, rights in the workplace, specific
>figures in the women's rights movement, lesbian civil rights, and many on
>women's rights in other areas of the world.
>
>Also of interest to the instructor are videos showing African-American
>women involved in the womens movement in the same time period. ("Standing
>on Our Sisters' Shoulders" was shown to her class, but she's looking for
>videos that show women talking directly about their involvement in the
>feminist movement, etc.).
>
>Another angle is video that discusses sexism within the left or within
>the Black Panthers during the 60s/70s.
>
>Several titles that we already know of:
>
>My Feminism
>Some American Feminists
>Step By Step: Building a Feminist Movement
>Black Women, Sexual Politics and the Revolution
>A Century of Women
>
>Thanks in advance for any help,
>
>******************************
>Meghann R. Matwichuk