Re: [Videolib] Videos on American Feminism Circa 1960s/70s

Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:58:01 -0700

--=====================_25453046==.ALT

Oh yeah

sexism on the left...

As I recall

The Torch is Passed.
SLATE is a student political party which was active at the University of
California, Berkeley in the late 50's and early 60's. Former members,
gathered for a 25th anniversary reunion, reflect on the party's values and
actions. 30 min. (Filmakers Library)

discusses (among other things) the less-than-liberal treatment of women in
the Free Speech Movement

At 01:46 PM 4/6/2004, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am searching for a few titles that I might be able to order, and the
>search is turning out to be less fruitful than I originally thought it
>would be. So, I'm appealing to the collective brain for help.
>
>I have a request from an instructor for videos to be used as an
>introduction to 1960s and 1970s feminism in America. Her words: "I want
>the students to see the power, conflict and diversity within this time
>period." What we have found so far has been too specific -- we have
>plenty of videos on abortion rights, rights in the workplace, specific
>figures in the women's rights movement, lesbian civil rights, and many on
>women's rights in other areas of the world.
>
>Also of interest to the instructor are videos showing African-American
>women involved in the womens movement in the same time period. ("Standing
>on Our Sisters' Shoulders" was shown to her class, but she's looking for
>videos that show women talking directly about their involvement in the
>feminist movement, etc.).
>
>Another angle is video that discusses sexism within the left or within
>the Black Panthers during the 60s/70s.
>
>Several titles that we already know of:
>
>My Feminism
>Some American Feminists
>Step By Step: Building a Feminist Movement
>Black Women, Sexual Politics and the Revolution
>A Century of Women
>
>Thanks in advance for any help,
>
>******************************
>Meghann R. Matwichuk