RE: [Videolib] looking for "Winged Migration" with public perform

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:47:51 -0500

Probably Jessica would know more, but it seems to me that sometime in the
late 80s or early 90s, there was some sort of agreement made between the
major studios and a nursing home assoction so that films could be shown, on
the premise that for many people in a nursing home, that is their home. I
can't remember exactly when or just what studios were involved. Hope this
jogs someone's memory.

Becky Tatar
Unit Head, Periodicals, Audiovisual
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
PHONE: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
www.aurora.lib.il.us
E-mail: bltata@aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Renee Zurn [mailto:rzurn@duluth.lib.mn.us]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 3:16 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] looking for "Winged Migration" with public
performance rights

I am looking for a public performance rights copy of "Winged Migration"
on DVD.

A local organization purchased "Winged Migration" at a local store.
They love the film and approached the library about showing it to the
public. I explained that they needed a copy of the film with public
performance rights before you can show the film to the general public.
They thought that as long as you did not charge admission you could show
it to the public. I was able to give them a brief explanation of why
that was not a legal use of their copy.

However, they would like to show this movie to nursing homes and other
local organizations. They have asked me to help them either locate a
copy with public performance rights that they could purchase or tell
them how to get public performance rights for the copy they have (a
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment Film, a Sony picture classic).

The DVDs I have located of "Winged Migration" all seem to be for home
use, with a purchase price of about $26.00. Our copy of the DVD is out
but I know I purchased the home license version.

Does anyone know
1. where to purchase a copy with public performance rights or
2. who to contact to get public performance rights for the copy they
have.

Thanks for all the help you can give me.

Renee Zurn
Media Librarian
Duluth Public Library
Duluth, MN 55802