RE: [Videolib] Floating Collections

Blackburn, Alison (Alison.Blackburn@library.ottawa.on.ca)
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:40:18 -0500

Hi,

Our rotating/traveling collections used to be "tailor made" for three
clusters of large/medium branches and one cluster of smaller branches.
Larger branches would receive 100 titles and the smaller branches would
receive 50 titles, three times a year. Selection was done with these
locations in mind. For instance, I may have selected a title for four of our
permanent collections and two for our traveling collections. When these
items were checked out they would return to their "owning branches". If they
belonged to a traveling collection, they would return to the branch that
housed that particular collection during the three month period. When the
rotation was complete, they were assigned "home" branches.

The floating collection concept is as you describe below - the item resides
at the branch where it is returned. For the time being I am assigning a
"point of origin" location, but the material floats from then on. In a sense
many of the newer titles, particularly on DVD, float for months because they
are always on request. We have had positive feedback from some
branches/patrons who are happy to see new/different material on a more
regular basis, but we have yet to define a "maintenance" strategy that will
help to ensure a balance. Some branches have to store titles on trucks
because their shelves are packed, while the collection at the main branch
seems to be dwindling.

Hope this helps.

Alison