Re: [Videolib] anti communist propaganda

Thu, 01 Apr 2004 10:57:30 -0800

hmmmm...

Capra made lots of anti- films (anti-Nazi, anti-Japanese) but I don't
believe he slammed the commies, directly, at least (Deeds, Smith, and
others are strongly pro-American, pro-democracy, but not overtly
anti-Communist).

This isn't to say that Capra was any way a fellow traveller: he was hauled
before HUAC, but the whole matter seems to have been summarily dropped
(rumors are that ol' Frank willingly named names. Joseph McBride in his
book "Frank Capra: The Catastrophe of Success," writes that "Hollywood's
ultimate populist was actually a lifelong Republican and anti-Communist who
voted against FDR, hung a painting of Mussolini in his bedroom and was an
FBI informer during the McCarthy era. " (see
http://www.s-t.com/daily/05-97/05-21-97/b04li069.htm)

At 09:39 AM 4/1/2004, you wrote:
>Dear Glenda:
>
>Remember that great anti-commie doc by Frank Capra?
>
>Folks--what's the name of it--my memory is not what it used to be...
>
>Thanks

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan