Re: [Videolib] Floating Collections

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:04:15 -0500

Hi - I'm interested in the "floating" concept but am confused by your
description as to how it differs from the rotating collections of the
bygone VHS era (or soon to be bygone). Some library systems have
instituted a "floating concept" whereby each library originates their own
collection (meaning purchases) but the patron can return that item to any
branch where it stays until the next patron checks it out, possibly
returning it to yet another library/branch. Would make for some
interesting collection development issues like where do all the martial
arts titles end up? I would think that circulation trend tracking,
overdues, and inventory might be more difficult in this scenario. Please
give me a heads up on your concept of "floating collections." Thanks. Jim
Scholtz.

At 10:44 AM 4/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Our public library system (33 branches - urban and rural) has recently
>initiated a pilot project to "float" certain collections, including adult
>videos and DVDs. This is a move away from the traveling collections we used
>to have, which involved rotating blocks of videos at three-month intervals
>to some of the smaller branches in our system.
>
>The pilot is about three months underway and the results, so far, have
>indicated that the collection at our main branch is down about 1500 videos -
>feature films and non-fiction titles. The main branch seems to be a key pick
>up point, but not as popular as a drop off point.
>
>In order to further assess how this may impact materials delivery we are now
>moving to "float" more of the AV collection - adult music on CD and perhaps
>adult books on tape and CD.
>
>I would love to hear from any other libraries with floating/shared AV
>collections, and would be particularly interested in hearing
>feedback/comments about the following:
>
> What are your thoughts about floating non-fiction VHS/DVD titles?
> How have you managed to balance your collections?
> How do you address collection gaps and/or specific requests from
>branches?
> Has there been a significant impact on materials delivery?
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Alison Blackburn
>AV Librarian - Collection Development
>Ottawa Public Library