Re: [Videolib] Long URLs in email - one solution

Rick Faaberg (rfaaberg@comcast.net)
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:03:58 -0800

On 3/24/04 7:20 AM "James Scholtz" <jimscholtz@sdln.net> sent this out:

> Great idea, Rick - I'm apparently not web savvy enough to understand how
> you go about "tinying" (neat word, huh?) or shortening the long URL into
> the abbreviated one so that the latter expands to the correct
> address. Please advise and I'll do it. Thanks. Jim Scholtz.
>

> At 05:54 PM 3/23/2004 -0800, you wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00019G4XW/qid=1080068009/sr=8
->> 2
>>> /ref=pd_ka_2/102-8061146-7392917?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
>>
>> I just wanted to point out that sometimes it's a good idea to "tiny URL"
>> long URLs like that before including them in email messages.

Method 1

Copy that long URL to your clipboard. Surf to <tinyurl.com> and paste that
URL into the "Enter a long URL to make tiny" box. Click on "Make TinyURL!"
Copy the resulting TinyURL and then paste it into your email message.

Method 2

Add TinyURL to your toolbar by surfing to <tinyurl.com> and scrolling down
to where it says "Add TinyURL to your browser's toolbar" and then click/drag
the "TinyURL!" link to your toolbar. Once you have that in your toolbar,
when you click on it you'll go to the TinyURL website and be presented with
a TinyURL for the webpage you were on when you clicked the bookmark on your
toolbar. Then you can copy the TinyURL and paste it wherever you want - like
in email messages!

HTH

Rick Faaberg