RE: [Videolib] Weeding of videos-help!

Linda Cannon (LCannon@joplinpubliclibrary.org)
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:15:34 -0600

I'm with you. People still have older software, and chemistry and
general science titles aren't out of date that quickly. I *would* take a
hard look at the medical titles, but if they are basic info, probably
still current. Treatment modalities change, but diagnostics and general
info are much slower to change. I'd pull a representative sample and
show them to the director. Good luck!

Linda Cannon, Collection Development Librarian
Joplin Public Library
300 S. Main St.
Joplin, MO 64801-2384

417-623-7953 (fax 417-624-5217)
email lcannon@joplinpubliclibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Fischer [mailto:Karen_Fischer@freenet.richland.oh.us]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 9:23 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Weeding of videos-help!

My director has decided that certain sections of our video
collections of too old. He decided that anything with a copyright date
of 1998 or earlier in the computer videos, medical videos and all of the
500's (sciences) needs to go.
This means all my Windows 95, Windows 87 and Microsoft 97 videos go,
even though some people are still using these programs. I still have
Windows 95 on my work computer.
In the 500s, some examples of what I have to get rid of are the World
of Chemistry (Annenberg-1990,) Mechanical Universe
(Annenberg-1985-1987,) the DK Eyewitness series, the DK Amazing Animals
series, Bill Nye the Science Guy and most of our National Geographics.
Then we are supposed to replace these with more recent videos, if there
is a need for that subject.
I just started going throught the medical stuff, but a lot of it is
from 1996-1998, and the companies are still selling most of it (Films
for the Humanities and Sciences especially.) He's concerned about bad
medical advice in old videos, but a lot of them are documentaries or
offer basic information--like dental care, why the sun is bad for your
skin, breast self-examination, etc.
Any advice anyone can offer would be helpful.
Thanks,
Karen Fischer