Re: [Videolib] What about lowering Public Performance Rights

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:09:13 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0082_01C40D0B.BC714E00

Joel,
We have a closed circuit cable system that feeds most classrooms on =
campus and our media library carrels, no dorms, offices, etc. Faculty =
who want us to play a program over this system for their classes or =
individual patrons who request to view our materials in-house =
(especially those with class assignments who show up in multiples the =
night before an assignment is due) benefit from our having PPR on most =
of our educational materials. We don't circulate our video materials to =
students, and I don't make our materials available for campus showings =
that are not classroom related. I don't attempt licensing PPR, even as =
limited as our public performance activity is, on feature films from the =
major studios. Anytime I find a source that is willing/able to support =
educational activities at no extra charge, I am delighted and very =
appreciative. However, I realize that some producers/distributors want =
to be compensated for the "large number" of viewers in an educational =
setting. I've come across a few distributors whose PPR fees approach =
usury. I buy from these only if the requesting faculty member is =
absolutely insistent that no other title will suffice. Of the options =
you propose, no additional fee would be great, but I'll agree with Gary =
that a flat $25 fee is acceptable.=20
Thanks for asking,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources