Re: [Videolib] What about lowering Public Performance Rights

Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:21:42 -0800

--=====================_7408203==.ALT

Thanks for sending this out, Joel.

Here's the deal: the vast (and I mean vast) majority of libraries
collecting video simply DO NOT NEED PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS! Certainly,
any public library not in the business of programming (i.e. publicly
exhibiting) the materials in their collection do not need PPR. In academic
libraries, by far the most common uses of video are
1) in connection with face-to-face teaching, and thereby covered by fair
use and 2) viewing by individuals within the library (and often in
connection with coursework -- in other words, probably covered by fair use
also).

I think that for libraries that DO need PPRs, taking on a flat $25 is
EXTREMELY reasonable.

At 09:22 AM 3/18/2004, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I would like to hear your honest opinion/feedback about a topic which
>is very relevant to all of us: Public Performance Rights license fees.
>
>We launched our Blackchair DVD Collection in mid December. We service
>direct to consumer and retail, but we also are gaining a very strong
>client base in the educational/institutional markets.
>
>We distribute FOUR titles on DVD where the Retail price and the PPR
>price are exactly the same ($25-$30 depending on the title). This
>pricing structure was demanded by the producers of the DVD's who
>intentionally wanted to keep the price fair so the works could be
>accessible across the board.
>
>Furthermore, we have a couple of titles with a PPR of $50, only $20
>over the SRP.
>
>finally, we have a few titles with a PPR of around $60-$75 or $30-$50
>over SRP.
>
>Here's what we are seeing - there has been a HUGE (!) rush by
>educators/librarians to buy the low priced titles. The second most
>popular purchases are the ones that around $50 and the third most
>popular are those around the $75 range.
>
>The titles we have at $100-$125 barely sell at all.
>
>So we are experiencing a very obvious trend here, and it has got us
>wondering if we should be talking to all of our producers/labels about
>LOWERING their pricing, and/or putting a cap on their PPR pricing.
>
>Three possible scenarios:
>1. keep PPR and SRP the same.
>2. Whatever the SRP, add on a flat $25 for PPR license
>3. Similar to #2, whatever the SRP, simply bump the PPR up to a $50.00
>cap.
>
>I would very much like to hear your honest input about this because I
>am also hearing from librarians who are buying our lower priced
>product a great sigh of relief and a big THANK YOU for offering titles
>at an affordable rate.
>
>Thank you for your consideration.
>
>Respectfully,
>Joel
>
>Joel S. Bachar, Founder
>Microcinema International
>531 Utah Street, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
>415-864-0660
>www.microcinema.com

UC Berkeley

****