Re: [Videolib] El Norte

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:26:29 -0500

> From: Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:21:40 -0800
> To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: [Videolib] El Norte
>
> Hi
>
> Technically (very technically) the face-to-face teaching/fair use exemption
> means that the video/film must be shown in the course of regular
> instruction, to students enrolled in the class, in a place where
> instruction usually occurs... Are they gonna bust the prof for allowing
> others to view it...nah. If this were a special night showing in an
> auditorium, with lots of publicity, I'd worry a bit more...if it's simply a
> matter of inviting others to audit the class, I wouldn't fret...
>
> Jessica Rosner at Kino probably has the answer to the rights question, but
I don't think I'd bother.

Why no bother at all. Actuall I missed this before my last post. Frankly
contrary to popular belief I am not THAT technical & mean on Public
Performance issues but I am suspicious of WHAT the prof would mean by "open
it up". If he just means telling the students to mention it around & bring
friends no big deal but I am ASSUMING he would in fact want to say LIST it
in the school paper or put up flyers etc and THIS would go over the line. I
frankly don't have a lot of faith in professors on this issue.
I don't think Gary and I are far apart on this but we would just need
some details as to what "open up" would constitute.

Jessica