Re: [Videolib] El Norte

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:21:40 -0800

Hi

Technically (very technically) the face-to-face teaching/fair use exemption
means that the video/film must be shown in the course of regular
instruction, to students enrolled in the class, in a place where
instruction usually occurs... Are they gonna bust the prof for allowing
others to view it...nah. If this were a special night showing in an
auditorium, with lots of publicity, I'd worry a bit more...if it's simply a
matter of inviting others to audit the class, I wouldn't fret...

Jessica Rosner at Kino probably has the answer to the rights question, but
I don't think I'd bother.

At 09:09 AM 3/17/2004, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>I have a two part question about rights and such concerning this film.
>There is a professor on our campus who in the normal routine of his
>course is showing El Norte, however he wants to open his showing for
>anyone who is interested. I just told informed the professor that that
>would void the fair use rights, because they want to advertise the
>showing but not charge. Supposedly there is a discussion afterwards and
>the students of his course must be there. Am I right to say they need
>public performance rights to do this, or would someone say that this is
>still within fairuse?
>2nd part, if I am right, which I think I am, does anyone know who to
>contact to get permission to show El Norte in this situation?
>thanks,
>jhs
>
>John H. Streepy
>Media Assistant III