Re: [Videolib] Call numbers

R. Hertzler (rhertz@u.washington.edu)
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:18:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Cathy. We also have a closed shelving system, and we have the
"modified accession number" system that was here for decades before I
arrived. While it's obscure to users, I consider this pretty much a moot
point, since I rarely even encounter *print* material users who like to
browse by call numbers, even in open shelving, let alone browse the
Library Catalog this way (which is about all a more expressive call
numbering system would afford them with a closed collection).

Our Catalogers maintain files in which they record the 2- to 4-letter code
that corresponds to a particular manufacturer (CG for Cinema Guild, BFI
for Bullfrog, KINO for Kino) followed by the next successive number. So
our next acquisitions from these three companies will look like this:

CG 148, CG 149, CG 150 . . .
BFI 097, BFI 098, BFI 099 . . .
KINO 143, KINO 144, KINO 145 . . .

Takes a little explaining to inquisitive and scandalized catalogers-to-be
from the Library School here (they even wrote a research paper about it
this past fall), but it actually works pretty well by my lights. Hope
this helps!

Randy Hertzler
Reference & Instruction Librarian
UW Anthropology/American Indian Studies Librarian
Head, UW Libraries Media Center
Odegaard Undergraduate Library
University of Washington, Seattle