Re: [Videolib] Disc-Go-Pod disc cleaner

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:00:21 -0500

Hi Fred, I was at PLA and tried (hands on) all of the disc cleaning/repair
machines at the exhibit - asking lots of questions, etc. In the past I've
written books on video/AV in libraries and am very competent with
technology. I was also gathering information as I want to write an article
for LJ comparing the various CD/DVD repair machines. First of all, all the
machines (even RTIs) takes lots of hands-on "playing with" - changing
discs, some initial setup, etc. Here's the down-and dirty information I got:
Disc-to-Go (Canadian Company - only authorizes purchases with credit card -
no POs. Compact Disc Repairman, Inc. also sells the same unit (only has a
few) and will deal with P.O.s.

Two types of units - single and multiple stage (meaning using several
discs/stages to polish/clean a disc.

Compact disc Repairman, Inc. $4995 also sells a disc inspector $3000+
(only inspector authorized by CD/DVD companies). Single stage unit in
prototype only (very large - 2ft. sq. by 18" tall). Glenview Public
Library, IL has purchased 2 of them.

JFJ Disc Repair - single stage cleaning 1 CD/DVD $595; cleaning 2
$795. smaller footprint, easy to clean - uses small amounts of cleaner on
abrasive sponge-type pad. Industrial 3/4 hp. motor on timer - large
buttons for easy operation. My only concern is that the disc would not be
"sanded" level due to the "pinch" process employed between the holding
clamp and the abrasive sponge. It did a great job of cleaning for the
price and used small amounts of cleaner - easy to clean up. 30 day
trial. 90 day warranty with extended 1 year warranty an extra $50.

Disc-to-Go - I bought one of these (arrived today) and am trying it
out. Small footprint (6" square), quit operation, uses a reservoir filled
with an abrasive, water soluble liquid. Two wool-type pads buff the
surface while the liquid is pumped into the chamber and effectively
cleans/repairs the disc. Pressure is made by turning screws on the wool
pads. You can exert too much pressure where the disc will NOT
turn. Liquid does evaporate and is difficult to remove from reservoir
after using (liquid and pads in kit are $17.95). Liquid can be reused /
timer runs for 5 min of cleaning. Lots of manual adjustments to this
machine to get it to clean properly but it does a nice job. If you saved
up lots of CDs/DVDs and repaired them in bulk it would be a good use of
time. The pump in an aquarium-style small pump and the motor is
small. The entire unit is plastic, but heavy type - seems durable (no
long-term warranty - only 30 days).

RTI Disc Chek - Eco-Junior - 5 stages, color coded, uses water but not as
much as other units, sanding pads are small, easily changable due to
magnets, small footprint. Cleaning takes place vertically, not
horizontally. RTI says sanding/polishing of the discs is even/flat while
other machines polish unevenly (not sure this claim has validation - refer
to JFJ "pinch" type clamp. All other units sand on a flat surface. RTI's
sensors back the sanding disc off slightly, change speed and reverse
direction to eliminate circular buff marks. $2995 plus price of
sanding/polishing discs. Need a catch unit for water. (3 min. cleaning
time). Distilled water recommended for cleaning due to impurities.

Azuradisc (has one unit single stage/dry process $595 (Mod 747 - 20 sec.
cleaning) and another wet unit $1595 (Mod. 1600) . Looks the same -
footprint is 1 ft. sq. Wet unit needs a water reclamation/catch unit under
it. Sort of a combination coffee maker/rock polisher - uses lots of water!
Fairly quiet machine - seems to do a great job of cleaning, lots of
handling of discs - multiple stage unit but can use only one stage if
damage is not too bad. Need space about the size of a water cooler to
house. Uses reg. water for cooling disc (running at high speed without
burning) - not really for polishing / as an emulsifier.

My final opinion (not published yet). I like the Disc-to-Go unit for a
small library/operation with a trained page running it. For the money
seems economical - I'm not sure about long-term durability yet (motor,
pump, cost of supplies, etc.). However, I really like the JFJ unit (esp.
the $795 one that will do 2 discs). The clamp mechanism on the large
sponge type abrasive pad bugs me (would have to get it just right to allow
spin and not sand disc unevenly. Uses less product than any other unit and
is fairly inexpensive - quality, durability seem to be there, and it's
easy-to-clean. I think this would be a good unit for medium-sized
libraries/collections. You could even clean patron's discs for a
profit-making venture.

RTI and Azuradisc also have disc evaluators for sale. Just as a note,
Azuradisc has sued Compact Disc Repairman for patent infringement.

I have all addresses/ph. numbers and contact information of vendors if
you'd like. Please feel free to pass this e-mail along to people and ask
me questions. Jim Scholtz.

At 11:39 AM 3/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone used, heard of, or read reviews about, what seems to be a
>newish disc cleaner - Disc-Go-Pod? The company, Disc-Go-Technologies
>(Canada) demonstrated it at PLA. It's supposed to be a "turn-key" machine
>- i.e. you drop in the disc and it does all the operations by itself. They
>are offering a PLA special of $345.
>

>--
>Fred Sandner
>Head, Circulation/Media Services
>Finkelstein Memorial Library
>
>You see, I don't believe that libraries should
>be drab places where people sit in silence,
>and that's been the main reason for our policy
>of employing wild animals as librarians.
>-Monty Python, "Gorilla Librarian" sketch
>--

James C. Scholtz, Director
Yankton Community Library
515 Walnut St.