RE: [Videolib] funky vhs smell--serious answer

Hooft, Robert (RHOOFT@jibc.bc.ca)
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:57:09 -0800

Could it be mildew? Where were the tapes stored....did they ever get wet etc....mould or mildew??

Robert Hooft
Justice Institute of B.C. Library
715 McBride Blvd
New Westminster, B.C.
V3L 5T4
Ph: 604-528-5598
Fx: 604-528-5593

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Mike Tribby
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 9:48 AM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] funky vhs smell--serious answer

Having had some fun with this question in a previous reply, let me now say
that I have many vhs tapes that are over ten years old, and while I have
experienced a fascinating array of probelms with older tapes--especially
those not played in quite a while--odor was not among them. I would,
therefore, doubt that the smell is emanating from the tapes themselves
(although one cannot dismiss this possibility, I guess). Is there any other
similarity that the odoriforous tapes share that the rest of the collection
does not?

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.