[Videolib] Reality check: U.S. libraries who collect non-Region-1

Sarah Andrews (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:47:33 -0600

The University of Iowa Libraries actively collects DVDs from all regions
when we have specific requests. Initially, we tried to only collect region
1 and all-regions (0), but we had too much demand for other region
DVDs. We have always purchased PAL videotapes at our institution, so this
was sort of inevitable.

We had to purchase an "all regions" DVD players for our cataloging
department and media services area. We note in the cataloging records what
region the DVDs are, and they usually get a sticker of some sort (usually
PAL) as well. We have closed stacks, but allow most materials to circulate
outside the library. At the point of circulation, staff ask patrons if
they can play the dvd at home and tell them to watch it at the library if
they can't.

Sarah Andrews