Re: [Videolib] Checkout barcodes on the inside of CD and DVD boxes

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:48:09 +0100

Dear Pat,

we put our barcodes on the backside of the box, but nevertheless the
content of all the returned DVD boxes is checked by opening them. Our
library system announces the number and type of items (number of discs,
supplements etc.) automatically when checking back and within the box
the content is marked too on a small slip of paper which also reminds
the user of how to take out the disc properly ("please press the button
...).

The routine you describe I have observed in the video stores here in
Berlin. They put their barcodes inside the box just under the disc. When
checking out the clerk puts his finger into the hole of the disc and
shows the blanc side to the customer to verify that there are no
scratches on the disc. Then he reads the uncovered barcode with his
scanner. Interesting.

We use the barcode inside the box with our VHS-video cassettes. The
barcode contains the security strip and is fixed directly to the shell
of the cassette.

with kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin