Re: [Videolib] Policy on videotaping and collecting events on campus

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:42:22 -0600

The Television Section of A/V Services records on-campus and some campus
sponsored off-campus events such as you describe - upon specific faculty or
administrative request. They are responsible for archiving the masters those
recordings. Requesting staff or offices may or may not keep a copy. I accept
a copy only if a faculty member wants us to have one to support his/her
curriculum. And I have begun to request them in DVD format. As a side note,
A/V Services also handles equipment checkout and repair (ours and
campuswide); they and we are separate, but related, departments. At this
time we do not have a centralized archive of university-related media, of
any/all formats.
Hope this helps.
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
phone 615-898-2740
fax 615-898-2530
email gfedak@mtsu.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rhonda Pancoe" <rpancoe@mail.colgate.edu>
To: <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 1:27 PM
Subject: [Videolib] Policy on videotaping and collecting events on campus

> At Colgate University we are facing shrinking storage space for our media
collection and the possibility of limiting what is accepted into the
collection is likely. What guidelines do other universities, colleges follow
for videorecording campus events (lectures, concerts, theater productions,
poetry readings, etc.) and accepting these recordings into their permanent
collection? This probably will also involve weeding the collection of
previous recordings of these yet to be determined events. Do you have
organizations and groups keep their own archives of these recordings? Do
you archive the masters only? I will take responses off-list or on-list if
you feel this topic is of interest to others. Thanks in advance.