Re: [Videolib] Latin American Documentaries: Some

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:45:42 -0800

--=====================_23412218==.ALT

My recommendations (altho none of the below originated in Latin Am)

Ache Moyuba Orisha: Sabre la Santeria Cubana.
An indepth examination of the Syncretism religion, an amalgum of Catholic
symbolism and Yoruban African piety, as it is practiced in Cuba. In Spanish
with English subtitles. 199-?. 42 min.
(avail from LAVA
<http://www.lavavideo.org/lava/>http://www.lavavideo.org/lava/)

Voices of the Orishas
This is an ethnographic documentary which demonstrates the survival and
strength of the Yoruba cultural and religious heritage in the contemporary
life of Caribbean African-Hispanics. The program was filmed in Havana among
practicioners of Santeria, and documents a ritual ceremony that features
dancing, singing, praying and drum beating, invoking the twenty-two
Orishas, or deities of the Yoruba religion. 1993. 37 min. (UC Center for
Media and Independent Learning)

Nganga Kiyangala: Congo Religion in Cuba
An examination of the history and practices of Nganga, the Bantu based
belief system of the slaves brought to Cuba from the Congo region of
Africa. Nganga is one of the sects in Cuba which are more than Christian in
belief, rituals, music and dance. Some of the differences between the
Lucumi (Yoruba/Santeria) and Abakua beliefs are also discussed. In Spanish
with English subtitles. 1991. 34 min. (avail from LAVA
<http://www.lavavideo.org/lava/>http://www.lavavideo.org/lava/)

Art of Haiti: The Primitive Painters
Explores Haiti's modern art movement, a fusion of Haiti's African roots,
French Colonial past and present day coexistence of voodoo and Catholicism.
Juxtaposes scenes of contemporary Haiti with paintings of such artists as
Rigaud Renoit, Andre Pierre, and Hector Hippolite. c1983. 26 min. (avail
from FACETS et al.)

Out of Africa (Portrait of the Caribbean; 2).
A sense of Africa pervades the Caribbean, but in Haiti it feels like Africa
itself. The history and culture of Haiti and Jamaica are compared. c1992.
45 min. Video/C 3193 (Ambrose Video)

Caribbean Crucible (Repercussions: A Celebration of African Influenced
Music; 6)
From Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, this film traces the ties that
bind the music of coastal Africa to the music of Europe and the Caribbean.
Spirited performances move through a variety of Afro-European fusions to
the tough and exhilirating sounds of urban Jamaican popular music,
including reggae and deejay. 1984. 60 min. (Films for the Humanities &
Sciences)

Chutney in Yuh Soca: A Multicultural Mix.
Chutney in Yuh Soca: a film showing the interaction of the East Indian and
African populations of Trinidad and Tobago through the popular music
"Chutney" which is an combination of Indian folk tunes with the tempo and
spice of the Caribbean. 1996. 37 min. ( Filmakers Library)

Bahia, Africa in the Americas.
Elements of African culture are powerfully expressed in the food, art,
dance, and most importantly, the Candomble (Umbanda) religion of the
Afro-Brazilian majority of the state of Bahia. 1988. 58 min.
(UC Center for Media and Independent Learning)

Black Music of Brazil.
Street tour of Brazil including visits to ghettos of Rio, Samba schools
preparing for Carnival and the African-rooted Bahia region. Includes
interview with superstar Gilberto Gil, probing the political impact of his
music, and performancesand conversation with other Brazilian performers.
Finally there's The Capoeira dancers, performers of a unique martial arts
dance which originated in Angola. Film surveys many styles of music of the
country including Samba, bossa nova and others. 1990. 50 min. VHS and DVD
(FACETS et al.)

At 01:13 PM 2/24/2004, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I'm working on a segment of a course that focuses on documentaries
>originating in Latin America. For this segment I'm looking for
>documentaries focusing on the African Diaspora in Latin
>America.
>
>Any suggestions?
>--
>M. Troy Davis
>Media Services Librarian
>University of Tennessee Libraries :: The Studio
>245 John C. Hodges Library
>Knoxville, TN 37996
>(865)974-6396
>troydavis@utk.edu
>http://www.lib.utk.edu/mediacenter/studio

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan
[...]

An examination of the history and practices of Nganga, the Bantu based belief system of the slaves brought to Cuba from the Congo region of Africa. Nganga is one of the sects in Cuba which are more than Christian in belief, rituals, music and dance. Some of the differences between the Lucumi (Yoruba/Santeria) and Abakua beliefs are also discussed. In Spanish with English subtitles. 1991. 34 min.   (avail from LAVA http://www.lavavideo.org/lava/)

Art of Haiti: The Primitive Painters
Explores Haiti's modern art movement, a fusion of Haiti's African roots, French Colonial past and present day coexistence of voodoo and Catholicism. Juxtaposes scenes of contemporary Haiti with paintings of such artists as Rigaud Renoit, Andre Pierre, and Hector Hippolite. c1983. 26 min.  (avail from FACETS et al.)

Out of Africa (Portrait of the Caribbean; 2).
A sense of Africa pervades the Caribbean, but in Haiti it feels like Africa itself. The history and culture of Haiti and Jamaica are compared. c1992. 45 min. Video/C 3193 (Ambrose Video)

Caribbean Crucible (Repercussions: A Celebration of African Influenced Music; 6)
From Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, this film traces the ties that bind the music of coastal Africa to the music of Europe and the Caribbean. Spirited performances move through a variety of Afro-European fusions to the tough and exhilirating sounds of urban Jamaican popular music, including reggae and deejay. 1984. 60 min.  (Films for the Humanities & Sciences)