[Videolib] Latin American Documentaries: Some recommedations?

Sarah Andrews (sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu)
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:39:11 -0600

Here's a recommendation from our International Studies Librarian of a
documentary on African Diaspora-

Awara Soup available from California newsreel.

"Awara Soup introduces us to what must be one of the world's most
multicultural communities, a global village in the backcountry of French
Guyana - an overseas department of France perched on the edge of South
America. Three hundred years of world history intersect in Mana, a town
where 1,500 people speak 13 different languages and live together in
remarkable harmony. Awara Soup reveals that "creolization" is not just an
historical artifact but a dynamic, ongoing process, encompassing more and
more of the world's people."

Sarah Andrews
University of Iowa Libraries

>Hi folks,
>I'm working on a segment of a course that focuses on documentaries
>originating in Latin America. For this segment I'm looking for
>documentaries focusing on the African Diaspora in Latin
>America.
>
>Any suggestions?
>--
>M. Troy Davis
>Media Services Librarian
>University of Tennessee Libraries :: The Studio
>245 John C. Hodges Library
>Knoxville, TN 37996
>(865)974-6396
>troydavis@utk.edu
>http://www.lib.utk.edu/mediacenter/studio

Edward A. Miner, Ph.D.
International Studies Bibliographer
University of Iowa Libraries
100 Main Library
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1420
Phone: (319)335-5883; Fax: (319)335-5900