Re: [Videolib] name that film

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:39:45 -0800

--=====================_5047078==.ALT

OK...a long shot with both a professorial character
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Harry+Hayden%22&hdft=relhd>Harry
Hayden and "flight of the bumble bee" (via AFI catalog)

Best Foot Forward (1943)

Cast:
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Lucille+Ball%22&hdft=relhd>Lucille
Ball (Herself),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22William+Gaxton%22&hdft=relhd>William
Gaxton (Jack ORiley),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Virginia+Weidler%22&hdft=relhd>Virginia
Weidler (Helen Schlessenger),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Tommy+Dix%22&hdft=relhd>Tommy
Dix (Bud, Elwood C. Hooper),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Nancy+Walker%22&hdft=relhd>Nancy
Walker (Blind date, Nancy),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22June+Allyson%22&hdft=relhd>June
Allyson (Minerva [Pierce]),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Kenny+Bowers%22&hdft=relhd>Kenny
Bowers (Dutch [Miller]),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Gloria+DeHaven%22&hdft=relhd>Gloria
DeHaven (Ethel),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Jack+Jordan%22&hdft=relhd>Jack
Jordan ([Harvey] Hunk [Hoyt]),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Beverly+Tyler%22&hdft=relhd>Beverly
Tyler (Miss Delaware Water Gap),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Chill+Wills%22&hdft=relhd>Chill
Wills (Chester Short),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Henry+O'Neill%22&hdft=relhd>Henry
O'Neill (Major [Roger W.] Reeber),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Sara+Haden%22&hdft=relhd>Sara
Haden (Miss Talbert),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Donald+MacBride%22&hdft=relhd>Donald
MacBride (Captain Bradd),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Bobby+Stebbins%22&hdft=relhd>Bobby
Stebbins (Greenie),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Darwood+Kaye%22&hdft=relhd>Darwood
Kaye (Killer),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Morris+Ankrum%22&hdft=relhd>Morris
Ankrum (Colonel Harkrider),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Nana+Bryant%22&hdft=relhd>Nana
Bryant (Mrs. Dalyrimple),
<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Harry+James%22&hdft=relhd>Harry
James ,
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Helen+Forrest%22&hdft=relhd>Helen
Forrest (Singer on "My First Promise" number)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Jack+Wagner%22&hdft=relhd>Jack
Wagner (Boy)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Hugh+Sheridan%22&hdft=relhd>Hugh
Sheridan (Boy)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Jack+McGee%22&hdft=relhd>Jack
McGee (Boy)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Billy+Bletcher%22&hdft=relhd>Billy
Bletcher (Waxer)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Robert+Emmet+O'Connor%22&hdft=relhd>Robert
Emmet O'Connor (Conductor)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Art+Thompson%22&hdft=relhd>Art
Thompson (Elderly man)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Lulu+Mae+Bohrman%22&hdft=relhd>Lulu
Mae Bohrman (Elderly woman)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Harry+Hayden%22&hdft=relhd>Harry
Hayden (Professor)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Isabel+Randolph%22&hdft=relhd>Isabel
Randolph (Wife)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Bess+Flowers%22&hdft=relhd>Bess
Flowers (Mrs. Bradd)],
[<http://afi.chadwyck.com/film/full_rec?action=BYID&FILE=../session/search?Action=SearchOrBrowse&SEARCH=Search&SIZE=50&RETRIEVETYPE=subset&RETRIEVEFROM=1&AFI_CAST=EXACT::%22Stanley+Donen%22&hdft=relhd>Stanley
Donen (Cadet)]

Plot Summary: On the eve of Winsocki Military Institute's senior prom,
graduating cadet Elwood C. "Bud" Hooper is in a conundrum because movie
star Lucille Ball has unexpectedly accepted his prom invitation, but he has
already submitted his girl friend Helen Schlessenger's name to the
graduation review committee. Although Bud has told Helen that he is too
sick to attend the prom, he is unsure what to do with Lucille, as it is too
late to submit another name. Bud's cadet friends, Dutch Miller and Harvey
"Hunk" Hoyt, convince Bud to take Lucille under Helen's name, unaware that
Lucille's sole purpose in coming to Winsocki is to gain some much-needed
publicity for her sagging career. Soon after Lucille and her agent, Jack
O'Riley, check into their hotel, bumbling photographer Chester Short of the
Philadelphia Bugle arrives, having been summoned by Jack. Jack's plan to
get a photo of Lucille and Bud together backfires when Helen shows up,
furious because she has heard that Bud is not sick, but is taking another
woman to the prom. Seeing Bud's obvious distress and Helen's jealousy,
Lucille asks Jack to call off the stunt, but Jack assures her that
everything will work out. At the prom, as a depressed Helen mopes about the
ladies' waiting room, Bud slips in, anxious to apologize. Helen gladly
accepts the apology until Bud asks her to allow Lucille to go to the dance
in her stead. Her jealousy reignited, Helen throws Bud out of the waiting
room, after which Dutch and Hunk, whose own dates are unaware of their
involvement with Lucille, escort the actress to the chaperoned dance. Much
to Lucille's dismay, Dutch and Hunk, who are anxious to have her to
themselves, insist on dancing with her in dark corners. Jack, meanwhile, is
forced to sneak in to the prom disguised as a waiter, then is chased off by
the ever-vigilant Captain Bradd. When homely blind date Nancy is
accidentally given Lucille's fur stole by the hat check boy, the movie
star's presence is suddenly made known. Just as a disgruntled Lucille is
about to leave, Jack convinces Bud that Lucille is worried about him, and
he agrees to ask her to dance the traditional "ring" waltz with him.
Believing that she is doing him a favor, Lucille accepts his invitation and
is publicly introduced as Helen during the formal dance. Upon hearing her
name called, Helen storms into the dance hall and confronts Lucille,
angrily ripping a flower from her gown. The starstruck cadets then descend
on the actress and tear her clothes to shreds for souvenirs. Chester
captures the riotous moment on film, and a half-dressed Lucille runs from
the hall screaming. Bud hides Lucille in his dorm room closet, and she is
soon joined by Jack, Chester, Helen and Nancy. When an angry Bradd comes
looking for Lucille, Bud manages to allay his suspicious for a while, but
Bradd eventually discovers the interlopers. The next day, Lucille is
annoyed to see a titillating photo of her and the cadets in the Bugle and
denounces Jack. Just then, Bud shows up at her hotel to say goodbye and
lies that he has straightened everything out with Bradd and Helen. After
Bud leaves, Helen arrives and tells Lucille that Bud will not be graduating
that day. Feeling responsible for Bud's plight, Lucille decides to plead
his case to Major Roger W. Reeber. Although sympathetic, Reeber reveals
that Bud's military future is in the hands of the school's board of
officers, which is headed by Colonel Harkrider. Lucille charms Reeber into
bringing the matter up to the board and coaches him on how to make the
dress incident sound like all-American fun. Lucille's ploy works, and while
she watches the proceedings with a starstruck Colonel Harkrider, Bud
graduates and is embraced by a forgiving Helen.

Music: "Two O'Clock Jump" (A Variation on "One O'Clock Jump") by Count
Basie and Harry James; "
[Keyword Hit]
Flight of the Bumble Bee" by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov.

At 09:01 AM 2/20/2004, you wrote:
>I'm stumped! A patron described the following scene from a movie (he
>doesn't know where he saw it or who the actor was) -- an older man
>(professor type) came into a pub, sat down at the piano and started
>playing the flight of the bumblebee. That's the only information he could
>give me. Can someone name this film?
>
>Julie Haferd
>Head of Media Dept.
>Tiffin-Seneca Public Library
>Tiffin, Ohio

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan

OK...a long shot with both a professorial character Harry Hayden and "flight of the bumble bee" (via AFI catalog)

Best Foot Forward (1943)

Cast: Lucille Ball (Herself), William Gaxton (Jack ORiley), Virginia Weidler (Helen Schlessenger), Tommy Dix (Bud, Elwood C. Hooper), Nancy Walker (Blind date, Nancy), June Allyson (Minerva [Pierce]), Kenny Bowers (Dutch [Miller]), Gloria DeHaven (Ethel), Jack Jordan ([Harvey] Hunk [Hoyt]), Beverly Tyler (Miss Delaware Water Gap), Chill Wills (Chester Short), Henry O'Neill (Major [Roger W.] Reeber), Sara Haden (Miss Talbert), Donald MacBride (Captain Bradd), Bobby Stebbins (Greenie), Darwood Kaye (Killer), Morris Ankrum (Colonel Harkrider), Nana Bryant (Mrs. Dalyrimple), Harry James , [Helen Forrest (Singer on "My First Promise" number)], [Jack Wagner (Boy)], [Hugh Sheridan (Boy)], [Jack McGee (Boy)], [Billy Bletcher (Waxer)], [Robert Emmet O'Connor (Conductor)], [Art Thompson (Elderly man)], [Lulu Mae Bohrman (Elderly woman)], [Harry Hayden (Professor)], [Isabel Randolph (Wife)], [Bess Flowers (Mrs. Bradd)], [Stanley Donen (Cadet)]

[...]

Music: "Two O'Clock Jump" (A Variation on "One O'Clock Jump") by Count Basie and Harry James; "Flight of the Bumble Bee" by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov.