RE: [Videolib] Democracy/Voting in movies

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:04:07 -0800

Seems to me that no one on this list has denied fair use, Jed. The
existing Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia
(http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/fairuse/guidelines.html)and and
judicious consideration of the existing tests of fair use (see
http://www.cetus.org/fair5.html) allow for excerpting copyrighted works
without permission. Neither of the above are uniformly wonderful (in the
case of the latter guidelines, they oftentimes suck big time). I vote for
fair use "that allows excerpts without permission," too,
Jed--unfortunately, my vote and you're vote ain't gonna do much good in the
case of an infringement suit...

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan