Re: [Videolib] Video shelving

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:43:02 -0500

--=====================_-1952281282==.ALT

Hi Kelly, I'm the Library Director at the Yankton Community Library, South
Dakota. Our library serves a city population of 15K and a total county
pop. of 23K - we have 15,000 sq. ft of space for total shelving. We have a
video collection of 2500 vol., DVDs 500+, and audio/CD books (about 1800)
and are really maxed out in terms of space (except for the DVD
shelving). Shelving for our videos is spine out - shelving for DVD was
face out - no moved to spine out with some shelves converted to diagonal
display. We started using browser bins for the DVD collection but now have
just moved to shelving exactly the same as the video shelving. We use
black epoxy coated wire shelving (they come in white, red or black) with 5
4ft. shelves per side and ability to have end shelves as well. The
tapes/DVDs don't slip through the wire (although, if you are using Kwik
cases/Gressco, etc., I'm not sure they would stand up). They are called
center island grid displays (from Specialty Store Services or Video Store
Shopper (www.specialtystoreservices.com /www.shopperinc.com). They run
about $190 U.S. (20 shelve type - diagonal grid inserts purchases
separately about $3-8 2ft/4ft.). My custodial staff likes them because
dust falls through, my staff likes them because they are mobile (on
lockable wheels), fairly attractive, although you'll look like a video
store, and durable (we've had them now for almost 10 years. One unit (8
sq. ft. of floor space) can shelve up to 550 videos (1100 DVDs); units are
only about 4ft. high so you can see over them (good security and customer
service). If you shelve - face out - you'll get less on each shelf (4 ft.
shelf - 14; 2 ft. shelf 7). My board likes them because they don't cost
much and are attractive. Patrons seem to like them as well and they use
floor space efficiently. the grids also come in some other formats (3
sided, etc.) I'd highly recommend them. Jim S.

At 10:48 AM 1/21/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>I realise that many of you are in libraries serving large populations, but
>I'm hoping maybe someone can help...
>
>We are currently building a new library and serve a population of about
>15,000. We have a small AV department which is quickly expanding in size
>and demand. I am trying to figure out how to display my videos/DVDs so
>they will look more appealing. I am being given standard book shelves and
>I hate them all lined up. Does anyone know of anything that could
>help? A company which has a Canadian distributor would be terrific!
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Kelly
>
>Interlibrary Loans / Audiovisual Dept.
>Petawawa Public Library (OPEV)