Re: [Videolib] The Charlie Chans

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:31:34 -0800

--=====================_7299093==.ALT

Hi

Have a look at http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/imagesasians.html
Most of the stuff is commercially available from most mass market sources
(amazon, facets, etc.)

Your colleague should definitely consider Griffith's Broken Blossoms (1919)
also
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1932; dir Frank Capra)
Black Magic (Charlie Chan in Meeting at Midnight)(1932) (a Charlie Chan
with Sidney Toler)
The Fu Manch series (with Boris Karloff) (eg The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932) )
Mr. Wong series (with Boris Karloff) (eg Mr. Wong, Detective (1938) )
Dragon Seed (1944)
Flash Gordon films (some avail on video) with
<http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0585481/>Charles Middleton as Ming the Merciless
Good Earth (1937)
Lost Horizon (1937) (dir Frank Capra)
Mr Moto series (with Peter Lorre) (eg
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000065N3C/qid=1074198412/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4931622-4665727?v=glance&s=video>Mr.
Moto's Last Warning (1939) )
Shadows (1922) (with Lon Chaney)

At 11:05 AM 1/15/2004, you wrote:
>Hey everyone,
>
>I have a colleague looking for some examples of
>(early) US films that had Asians portrayed by American
>actors. He's making a film on the current state of
>affairs for Asian-American actors. Titles and/or
>distributors would be a great help.
>
>Thanks much.
>
>B. Rich
>Columbia College Chicago
>Film & Video Dept.
>Michael Rabiger Center for Documentary

UC Berkeley

spectacles."
--Guy Debord
--=====================_7299093==.ALT

Hi

Have a look at http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/imagesasians.html
Most of the stuff is commercially available from most mass market sources (amazon, facets, etc.)

Your colleague should definitely consider Griffith's Broken Blossoms (1919)
also
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1932; dir Frank Capra)
Black Magic (Charlie Chan in Meeting at Midnight)(1932) (a Charlie Chan with Sidney Toler)
The Fu Manch  series (with Boris Karloff) (eg The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932) )
Mr. Wong  series (with Boris Karloff) (eg Mr. Wong, Detective (1938) )
Dragon Seed (1944)
Flash Gordon films (some avail on video) with Charles Middleton as Ming the Merciless
Good Earth (1937)
Lost Horizon (1937) (dir Frank Capra)
Mr Moto series (with Peter Lorre) (eg Mr. Moto's Last Warning (1939) )