RE: [Videolib] Great Courses Series

Paul Duckworth (pauld@mail.sgcl.org)
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:26:05 -0600

We began purchasing them several years ago. The patrons who used them began
asking for more, and the checkout stats justified investing more $$ into
these courses. We've steadly expanded our holdings of the Teaching
Company's products in the last few years and they are definitely earning
their keep on the shelves. I've listened to a few of them myself: the
narration and sound quality are very good. I don't know if I'm any smarter
than I was before I listened, but at least for a few minutes I felt a lot
more enlightened! The company is very cooperative and easy to deal with for
replacement tapes, and they recently donated over $1000 of product to our
library, as well as many other libraries in the U.S.

We primarily purchase the audiocassette versions, but I'm buying more and
more compact disc versions. We have only a few of the video versions--I
tend to purchase them only when the visual content is crucially important to
the learning process.

Recorded Books is launching a product line similar to The Teaching
Company's, in conjunction with the Smithsonian. Their courses will be much
shorter. We have signed up to receive everything they issue.

Regards, Paul

Paul Duckworth
Collection Development Coordinator
Springfield-Greene County Library District (Missouri)
417-874-8120 ext 223
417-874-8114 fax
pauld@mail.sgcl.org