Re: [Videolib] International DVD standards

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:16:56 +0100

Dear Val,

Concearning the DVD disc itself an international standard for DVD really
does exist.
This standard is:
- region code 0
- NTSC
- Dolby Digital sound encoding (also called AC-3)

A disc encoded in this way can be played back in all PAL countries
nearly without any problems, as far as I know. All DVD players sold in
these countries, i.e. Europe, are equipped with PAL and some sort of
NTSC play back.

Most PAL TV-sets or monitors can be used without any problems because
output of the picture of an NTSC disc with these PAL players is adapted
to PAL standard either by "NTSC 4,43" (color signal is 4.43 Mhz as used
with PAL standard) or by so called "PAL 60" (picture repetion frequency
is 60 Hz and vertical resolution is 525 lines as used with NTSC
standard, but color signal is 4.43 Mhz as used with PAL standard) - by
the way nearly all VHS video players sold in Europe are equipped in the
same way (only for play back!).
http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/87-00-video-standards-ntsc-pal.html

That is why we can buy DVD (and VHS video cassettes) from the North
American market for our library here in Berlin without any problems as
far as they are region coded 0. Most of our patrons can use these discs
in their DVD players.

European publishers of DVD that aim to the international market
(especially the smaller ones) usually encode their discs in NTSC with
region code 0. These discs are sold in Europe, too.

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin
http://www.zlb.de/index.html