RE: [Videolib] 3M checkout and VHS tracking problems

Hooft, Robert (RHOOFT@jibc.bc.ca)
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:17:17 -0800

This is NOT a tracking problem....they are being partially erased. We have had VHS tapes partially erased by the 3M desensitizer. Usually this happens when the video is close WHILE books are being checked out. We fixed this rather expensive problem by separating our book checkout and video checkout. We always make sure the videos are at least 4 to 5 feet away from desensitizer at ALL TIMES.

Cheers

Robert Hooft
Justice Institute of B.C. Library
715 McBride Blvd
New Westminster, B.C.
V3L 5T4
Ph: 604-528-5598
Fx: 604-528-5593

-----Original Message-----
From: Schmitt, Mike [mailto:schmittm@uwgb.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 11:59 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] 3M checkout and VHS tracking problems

I find it hard to believe that the units in question are causing the problems with tracking. I would suggest taking a test tape and placing it right on the checkout system and seeing if that causes problems. I have bulk tape erasers (with fairly large eletromagnets) that won't even touch a VHS tape signal. The same is true with high bias audiotape as the signal (music/voice) is fairly hard to erase.

The tracking problems are more likely due to old tapes, old VCR's, or both. Some models are just more touchy than others and many models only playback tapes recorded on themselves. That is my experience anyway...good luck!

--Mike Schmitt
Media Services
UW-Green Bay