RE: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Nagle, Tiffany (tiffany.nagle@kerncountylibrary.org)
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:25:27 -0800

At our branch, we have external drop boxes for books only. All of our AV
items are marked with stickers asking the patrons to return items inside. As
an incentive to have our patrons bring the items inside, I waive the late
fees for days when the library is closed. I figure we shouldn't charge them
for days that they can't return the item, because we have asked them not to.
Of course, there are usually a few items that are returned to the drop boxes
each day anyway, but the patrons are held responsible for any damages that
occur, and we also add a "nastygram" to their account to remind them on
their next visit that AV items should be returned inside.

Tiffany Nagle
Audiovisual Librarian
Beale Memorial Library/Kern County Library
ph (661) 868-0743
tiffany.nagle@kerncountylibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: John F. Fossett [mailto:john@krl.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Greetings,
Recently we've had a few expensive items damaged in our drop boxes. You
know,
a heavier item lands on a lighter, more fragile item and you have to repair
it (if it can be repaired.) We have one drop box at each branch for all
formats.
The after hours drop boxes are a good service to patrons, but seem to
require
a lot of library resources (i.e., repairing damaged cases/discs/tapes,
processing ALL AV in new, stronger cases, potential for theft and
vandalism.)
We're weighing the benefits/liabilities of returning AV in drop boxes. What
are the policies at your system regarding AV returns? Are patrons allowed to

put AV in the drop boxes? Do you have a separate AV drop box? Is the patron
responsible for the item until it's discharged? Is damage occurring in the
drop box "written off"? Other?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
John

John F. Fossett
Media Librarian