RE: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:08:54 -0600

Our media all have "Do not place in drop box" labels in bright neon
colors.

Patrons are responsible until an item makes it back to the Circulation
desk.

Luckily I haven't had to actually bill for damage, but I've been
enforcing fines on DVDs that are late because of being in the drop box.
My reply has been to the effect of don't do it again and be grateful
you're not being billed for $200 average replacement cost because a 20
pound book landed on it... We're open more than 90 hours/week, so the
"but the Library was closed" defense doesn't get them much credit.

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of John F.
Fossett
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Greetings,
Recently we've had a few expensive items damaged in our drop boxes. You
know,
a heavier item lands on a lighter, more fragile item and you have to
repair
it (if it can be repaired.) We have one drop box at each branch for all
formats.
The after hours drop boxes are a good service to patrons, but seem to
require
a lot of library resources (i.e., repairing damaged cases/discs/tapes,
processing ALL AV in new, stronger cases, potential for theft and
vandalism.)
We're weighing the benefits/liabilities of returning AV in drop boxes.
What
are the policies at your system regarding AV returns? Are patrons
allowed to
put AV in the drop boxes? Do you have a separate AV drop box? Is the
patron
responsible for the item until it's discharged? Is damage occurring in
the
drop box "written off"? Other?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
John

John F. Fossett
Media Librarian