RE: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Lonergan Lynn GS-11 AUL (
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:05:56 -0600

We place a sticker on each item that says "Please do not return in drop
box." It works fairly well. We also have a small box at the circulation desk
for these items instead of using the "slot".

Lynn A. Lonergan
Chief, Acquisitions Section
Air University Library
600 Chennault Circle, MAFB AL 36112
Voice: 334.953.2509/ Fax: 334.953.1192

"Of all the kinds of silences--the stillness of snowfields, the hollow quiet
of an empty house--none is as total as the desert. It is the hush of
antiquity, an inverse echo that seems to embrace the countless millions of
years it takes for a desert to form." --Jason Kersten

-----Original Message-----
From: John F. Fossett []
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:12 AM
Subject: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Recently we've had a few expensive items damaged in our drop boxes. You
a heavier item lands on a lighter, more fragile item and you have to repair
it (if it can be repaired.) We have one drop box at each branch for all
The after hours drop boxes are a good service to patrons, but seem to
a lot of library resources (i.e., repairing damaged cases/discs/tapes,
processing ALL AV in new, stronger cases, potential for theft and
We're weighing the benefits/liabilities of returning AV in drop boxes. What
are the policies at your system regarding AV returns? Are patrons allowed to

put AV in the drop boxes? Do you have a separate AV drop box? Is the patron
responsible for the item until it's discharged? Is damage occurring in the
drop box "written off"? Other?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John F. Fossett
Media Librarian
Kitsap Regional Library