RE: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Pamela S. Reeves (PReeves@uwyo.edu)
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:07:12 -0700

We do not allow media of any kind to be returned in the drop boxes. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it seems to work well to just post a note on the drop box, and also let people know when they check something out, that it needs to be returned at the desk.

-----Original Message-----
From: John F. Fossett [mailto:john@krl.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 10:12 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] AV in after hours drop boxes

Greetings,
Recently we've had a few expensive items damaged in our drop boxes. You know,
a heavier item lands on a lighter, more fragile item and you have to repair
it (if it can be repaired.) We have one drop box at each branch for all
formats.
The after hours drop boxes are a good service to patrons, but seem to require
a lot of library resources (i.e., repairing damaged cases/discs/tapes,
processing ALL AV in new, stronger cases, potential for theft and vandalism.)
We're weighing the benefits/liabilities of returning AV in drop boxes. What
are the policies at your system regarding AV returns? Are patrons allowed to
put AV in the drop boxes? Do you have a separate AV drop box? Is the patron
responsible for the item until it's discharged? Is damage occurring in the
drop box "written off"? Other?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
John

John F. Fossett
Media Librarian