RE: [Videolib] Video Librarianship discussion

Paul Duckworth (pauld@mail.sgcl.org)
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:15:52 -0600

Thank you, Karen, for your excellent summary of this discussion. Everyone's
experiences and state of mind (hence, one's REALITY) is different and
unique. I've been in public librarianship for 28 years, and in academic
librarianship for 4 years prior to that. I find great enjoyment from my
work, my colleagues, my environment, and I continue to learn and be
stimulated by the variety ("variety is the spice... " etc) of people we
serve and provide materials for. Not everyone's work experience is so
postive and enjoyable as is mine--I wish it were.

I seldom post but really appreciate the discussions and the great support
and assistance through the list!

Paul Duckworth
Collection Development Coordinator
Springfield-Greene County Library District (Missouri)
417-874-8120 ext 223
417-874-8114 fax
pauld@mail.sgcl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Karen Fischer
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 8:20 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Video Librarianship discussion

Although this discussion has been somewhat interesting (and occasionally
heated,) I have something to nit-pick about. A lot of the replies have
retained all or some of previous replies. Many people now seem to be
confused about who actually said what and are replying to the wrong people
or
criticizing the wrong people.

The best I can tell, going back to the beginning, TRACY asked how to become
a Video Librarian.

LISA replied " I would avoid working in a public library at all costs, they
are generally dreadful and deadening to one's free spirit." Lisa's harsh,
blanket statement upset a lot of audiovisual people who happen to enjoy
working in public libraries.

Some of these public library people, including JOHN, replied and defended
public library librarianship. Some of Lisa's collegues replied in effect,
"Lisa's really a nice person, don't be upset with her" even though she made
such a broad, sweeping statement condemning public libraries.

JOHN simply pointed out that LISA sounded like she had had a negative
experience with public library employment and that he didn't feel her
comments (about public libraries) were helpful. Now JOHN is getting a lot
of
flak.

I do not know TRACY, LISA or JOHN. But as an AudioVisual Librarian (for 15
years) in a public library, I too found Lisa's statement to be hurtful and
unduly harsh. I'm sorry Lisa is so bitter about public libraries. But
overall, I like my job a lot, and apparently so do many other people in
public librarianship.

Karen Fischer
Audio Visual Librarian
Mansfield Richland County Public LIbrary
Mansfield, OH