RE: [Videolib] Video Librarian - Public Library

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:37:15 -0500

In my 13 years working in an urban public library system, I have to say that despite the sometimes difficult experiences encountered with administrators, overall, the learning experience was good. It is that background that led me to my current profession now as a media librarian in a college library. My take is that we come to the table with a wide diversity of experiences. Some good, some mediocre, and some just plain old bad. I think we have to realize that for the "new jacks" and "elderly videolibbers" on this listserv, we need this kind of expression. They and "we" need to see and hear from each other to know what is going on in our respectives worlds so to speak. It keeps us sharp, open and vigilant. It also gives Tracy the idea that she is not alone in her pursuit of a viable career that has alot of potential. I've worked with and know Lisa personally since we both belong to the same university system. Besides being a viable asset to her college library, she's cool people to bo
unce off ideas and concerns about our profession today and tomorrow.

LaRoi Lawton
Bronx Community College/CUNY
Library & Learning Resources
Bronx, NY 10453

-----Original Message-----
From: John F. Fossett [mailto:john@krl.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 3:49 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Video Librarian - Public Library

Lisa,
I'm sorry that you feel the way you do about public library employment. It
sounds as though you may have had a negative experience.
I work as a media librarian for a small public library in Washington State
and find that I have a tremendous amount of latitude in my shaping of the
collection. I am encouraged by my supervisor to be creative in my approach
and supported by the the rest of collection management, technical services,
branch staff, as well as the patrons. I do not feel a "deadening to one's
free spirit" as you state.
This list appears to be utilized by folks from all corners of the video
world. We're here because we're trying to help each other. I don't feel your
comments work toward that goal.
Regards,
John

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:22:16 -0500, Lisa Flanzraich wrote
> I was hoping someone could help me. I am trying to get information
> on the best steps to take in becoming a Video Librarian. I have my
> M.L.I.S and am currently working in a para professional position in
> a video library. Do I need a second masters? Any help would be
> appreciated. I just want some leads on how to become one either
> academic or public library.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Tracy
>

> A second Master's in Cinema Studies would help, although not
> necessarily, especially for a public library. I would avoid working
> in a public library at all costs: they are generally dreadful and
> deadening to one's free spirit. .
>
> My recommendation is to become a CINEMANIAC if you are not one
> already, and join film clubs, organizations, volunteer to write
> reviews, bone up on technology-- although the substantive nature of
> media librarianship is far more interesting, at least for me. Take
> lots of film/media courses.
>
> It is not a good economy--however there are opportunities, if you
> make them happen. If you live in a major city--there are t.v.
> networks, film archives, studios, museums, film art centers,blah blah.
>
> Hangout, above all, with -MOVIE MANIACS--if you have your heart set
> on it--you can make it happen.
>
> Keep us posted.

John F. Fossett
Media Librarian