RE: [Videolib] VHS Tape checking
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:18:17 -0600

We share our tape ckecking machine with several other local libraries,
so once a year we run through our entire VHS collection. It takes about
a month to get through all of the tapes - the once-every-25-checkouts
sounds like a much more efficient method, but we don't normally have the
cleaner on-hand.

Benjamin D. Sprague
Circulation Supervisor /
Technology Services
Ripon Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Albrecht []
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 7:52 AM
Subject: [Videolib] VHS Tape checking

Good morning, all.

We are considering putting in an order for a tape cleaning/inspection
device, probably an RTI. I would like to ask those of you who already
these to tell me HOW you use them. That is, is it a routine part of the

check-in process to run the tape through the machine, or do you do the
whole collection--or chunks of it--on some kind of timetable basis?
is your procedure?

Many thanks,
Susan at Wabash

Susan Albrecht