RE: [Videolib] (no subject)

Laroi Lawton (laroi.lawton@bcc.cuny.edu)
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:34:05 -0500

Once again, I will state that this will depend upon where you are. I work in New York City with the City University of New York better known as CUNY. My previous experience has been with NYPL (New York Public Library) 13 years to be exact. I left because of the impediments to advancement in place at that time even for an urban library system. You have to keep in mind, what is it you want to do, and what organizations out there will allow for both professional and intellectual growth. Too idealistic? I don't think so. A day doesn't go by when I am either upset at an administrator, student or faculty member who has
created a problem that could have been avoided by a simple communication tool called the "mouth" and the ability to communicate. But despite these shortcomings, (and I include myself) I have to say, that I am happy where I am simply because the opportunity to grow professionally, express myself in a forum such as this, and share many of the ups and downs many of us face on a day-to-day basis- as well as advice.

LaRoi Lawton
Bronx Community College
GSL Learning Resources Center
Library & Learning Resources Department
Bronx, NY 10453
Laroi.Lawton@bcc.cuny.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Gena Zelenka [mailto:gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us]
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 5:55 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] (no subject)

Re: I would avoid working in a public library at all costs: they are generally dreadful and deadening to one's free spirit...

I don't know, I want to say something about being locked in an IVORY TOWER, or ask just what kind of bad experience you had to be so turned off by public libraries...but I'll direct my comments,

To TRACY: I am currently earning $20/K more a year since I moved to a public library from a small academic library. I also have the freedom to collect all types of films as well as hold all types of film programs. Personally I found it very freeing to leave the uptight, super political atmosphere of the academic world. But, you know, nothing's perfect. Not ever.

Good Luck!

Gena Z.

Gena K. Zelenka
A/V and Adult Programming Librarian
Reader Services
PARK RIDGE PUBLIC LIBRARY
20 S. Prospect Ave.
Park Ridge, IL 60068
847-825-3123 x389
Fax: 847-825-0001
gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us <mailto:gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us>
www.parkridgelibrary.org

"Bookstores are stores disguised as libraries." Mark Swartz/Instant Karma