RE: [Videolib] Collection development guidelines

Tova Aragon (tovaarag@hotmail.com)
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:07:56 +0000

Here are our guidelines. They are pretty general but perhaps they will
help. Our service area is 140,000 and we have appr. 99,000 library card
holders. Our total circulation is appr. 160,000 a month. Videos are about
11% of our overall budget.

Video Collection
The Video Collection exists to serve the general informational, educational,
and recreational needs of the Library community but is not meant to be
comprehensive. The Video Collection contains adult and juvenile feature
films and informational titles in VHS and DVD formats.

The feature films include a varied selection of award-winning films, current
high interest titles, classics, and foreign films. Informational titles
include award-winning documentaries, and such popular subjects as travel,
sports, exercise, parenting, cooking, business, language, arts, hobbies,
health, home repair, pets and animals. Most of the collection is currently
for home use only (restricted to individual or family viewing) though the
Library does own informational and children’s videos with public performance
rights (public performance videos may be viewed by groups for in-library
programs or for an organization’s program). Many titles in the Video
Collection are close-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Influencing Factors:
Because numerous local video rental outlets supply recent releases of the
most popular films, the Library does not purchase every one. One focus of
the collection will be those titles that are not readily available to the
public through video stores. Expected long-term use and value to the
collection are deciding factors in the selection of adult and children’s
videos.
Selection Plan:
In addition to the standard selection tools, review sources such as Movie
Review Query Engine and Video Librarian are regularly consulted.
Publishers’ catalogs (Advance, B&T Video Alert, etc.), ads, and patron
requests are also used to identify current high-interest releases suitable
for purchase. Preference is given to the purchase of new titles rather than
replacements, but available titles in high demand may be replaced.
Circulation statistics and wear influence the weeding process. Multiple
copies may be considered for high-interest items. Patron requests for
specific videos will be considered and purchased if the film is appropriate
to the collection for the long term. Changing technology is always a factor
to be considered in the long-range development of the collection.
Closed-captioned firms are purchased whenever available to meet the
Library’s commitment to serving the hearing-impaired.

Tova Aragon
Adult Services Lead Librarian
Fort Collins Public Library
201 Peterson